The tech world's backlash against Donald Trump's travel ban continues. The latest name to throw its hat into the ring is Viber with its Viber Out service.
The messaging service has announced that it is offering free calls between the US and countries affected by the new president's executive order restricting travel. Viber users can place free calls between the US and the seven affected countries -- landlines and mobiles included.
Viber used the announcement to unsubtly throw shade at President Trump, saying: "We connect people. No matter who they are or where they're from." It's not clear how long free calls will be available, but the wording of the announcement implies that it will be until the travel ban is lifted:
In light of recent events in the United States, we are now offering free calls to any landline or mobile number between the United States and Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen so that those affected will now have one less barrier to cross when trying to reach their loved ones.
The company also announced the free calls on Twitter where there was a thankful reception from Viber users old and new:
We connect people - no matter where they’re from. Calls to any landline or mobile between ?? and ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??are now free.
— Viber (@Viber) January 30, 2017
Viber points out that there is no limit on call duration.
- Man vs. Machine: Robot Calls Police After Being Attacked By Drunk Man
- Twitter Brings Video App To Roku Devices
- SoundCloud vs. Apple Music vs. Pandora Premium: SoundCloud Now Offers Playlists With User-Generated New Music
- Spotify Not Working, Offline: Users Getting 'Error' Messages During Outage
- Amazon's Anime Strike: The Price Is Too Damn High
- PlayStation Now will soon stream PS4 games to your Windows PC
- Xbox Live Creators Program – Everything you need to know
- The latest Office 365 app will make it easy to keep track of your customers
- Audiosear.ch: Full Text Podcast and Radio search engine
- Verizon Fios Prepaid Plans Launched: Offers 25MBPS Internet, TV And Home Phone Connectivity With No Annual Contract