A DHCP scope is an administrative grouping of IP addresses for a community subnet. With scopes you'll be able to configure widespread community settings for all shoppers receiving addresses, reminiscent of DNS servers and community gateways.
Scopes can filter hosts by identify, MAC handle, and working system to both permit them or disallow them from receiving an IP handle. Scope insurance policies might be configured to assign totally different choices to hosts based mostly on their identify, MAC handle, or working system. For instance, we will create a coverage that configures the NIS server for a Linux host along with choices set on the scope degree.
This tutorial will information you thru configuring DHCP scopes on Windows Server 2012 R2.
Create a New Scope
- Launch the DHCP console.
- From the tree on the left aspect of the console, increase the DHCP server’s hostname node.
- Select after which proper-click on IPv4.
- From the IPv4 context menu, choose New Scope.
- When the New Scope Wizard dialog field seems, click on Next.
- On the Scope Name display, enter the identify of your new scope. You ought to give it a description to doc its objective. When carried out, click on Next.
- On the IP Address Range display, enter a beginning IP tackle adopted by an Ending IP handle. This create the scope’s vary, which shall be used to assign addresses to shoppers.
- Under Configurating settings that propagate to DHCP shopper part of the IP Address Range display, both enter a subnet bit size (CIDR) within the Length area, or enter the dotted decimal notation of the subnet masks.
- Click Next.
- On the Add Exclusions and Delay display, we will set IP addresses from inside the vary we outlined that ought to be excluded. For instance, if our vary consists of the IP tackle of our community gateway, we in all probability are not looking for our shoppers to make use of it, so we might add its IP handle to the exclusion record. Click Next when executed.
- On the Lease Duration display, enter the size of time a shopper ought to be assigned an IP handle. When carried out, click on Next.
- On the Configure DHCP Options display, choose Yes, I need to configure these choices now, after which Click Next.
- On the Router (Default Gateway) display, enter the IP tackle of the gateway shoppers ought to use. Click Next when finished.
- On the Domain Name and DNS Servers display, enter the IP addresses of all DNS servers the shopper ought to use. Click Next when completed.
- On the WINS Servers display, in case you have WINS servers add them right here. Click Next when achieved.
- On the Activate Scope web page, choose Yes, I need to activate this scope now. A scope have to be activated earlier than it's allowed to assign shoppers IP addresses. If you don't want to activate it presently, choose No, I will activate this scope later. Click Next when carried out.
- Click Finish.
The objective of DHCP is to routinely assign hosts connecting to your bodily community an IP tackle. Which IP handle they get is determined by what has already been assigned and what's obtainable. With reservations, then again, we will be sure that a particular host all the time receives the identical IP handle.
Why would you do that as an alternative of simply assigning the host a static IP handle? Well, this enables us to centrally assign IP addresses to all of our servers.
Host reservations use the MAC tackle of a shopper’s community interface. When the DHCP server sees this MAC handle throughout a DHCP request, it matches it to an IP tackle within the reservation listing after which assigns that IP tackle to the host. No different host could also be assigned the IP tackle.
- In the DHCP console, from the left tree view increase the scope you need to add reservations to.
- Select after which proper-click on Reservations. When the context menu seems, click on New Reservation…
- Give the reservation a identify. You ought to in all probability use the hostname of the server you're reserving the tackle for.
Assign the IP handle.
- Enter the MAC tackle of the servers community interface.
- Document the aim of the reservation by getting into a description.
- Under Support varieties, choose both Both, DHCP or BOOTP.
- Click Add so as to add the brand new reservation.
Scope choices are used to set further community info when a host is assigned an IP tackle. This can be utilized to set the default gateway, DNS server, native time server (NTP), and lots of others.
You can discover choices for each Windows and Non-home windows working methods. For instance, we will outline the IP addresses of NIS servers for our LinuxUnix setting.
Options outlined on the scope degree will override choices set on the DHCP server degree.
- Launch the DHCP console from Server Manager.
- In the General tab, choose the choices you need to allow. These choices will apply to all DHCP shoppers.
- In the Advanced tab, choose the choices you need to allow for a particular class of DHCP shopper. Classes can be utilized this to particularly goal Linux servers, for instance, in order that solely the get choices set within the Advanced tab.
- When achieved, click on OK.
The following is a listing of a number of the choices obtainable to be used. These may be present in each the General tab and Advanced tab of the Options dialog field.