Over the weekend, IBTimes reported about an incident wherein a 6-year-old New York boy was said to have suffered burns after the Galaxy Note 7 he was using burst into flames. At the time, the report about the incident was deemed very timely as Samsung just issued a warning to Note 7 owners to have their handsets replaced as quickly as possible.
Međutim, as more details about the reported incident emerged on Tuesday, it was made clear that the device the boy was using at the time of the explosion was not a Note 7, but a different Samsung smartphone.
Correcting the erroneous detail that was reported earlier, the boy’s grandfather, John Lewis, spoke with NBC New York to state that it was not a Note 7 that had caused his grandson to be rushed to the hospital but a Galaxy Core Prime. Lewis noted that the confusion may have come from the fact that their entire family are using Samsung smartphones.
While the Galaxy Note 7 may have been cleared of the issue, Android Authority reports that the clarification about the incident is still not looking good for the South Korea tech giant because another one of its smartphones have been found to be capable of exploding though there has been no documented history that the phone model is prone to catching fire like the company’s controversial flagship.
For its part, Samsung has confirmed that it is looking into the incident more, saying: “We take every report very seriously and have contacted the Lewis family to learn more about their situation. As we are currently looking into this case, we are unable to comment further right now.”
The new details about the incident involving the 6-year-old boy comes amid reports that Samsung has decided to fully switch to Chinese company Amperex Technology Ltd. for all of its Note 7 battery supplies. The move affects Samsung SDI that has been the supplier of 70 percent of the batteries of the Note 7 global versions, as per Phone Arena.
The decision was said to have been triggered by the knowledge that Samsung SDI’s batteries were found to be responsible for the explosion of the handsets that prompted the tech giant to announce the global recall of its latest Galaxy Note offering.