Server 2012R2 VA Services instead of a KMS Server
Most Windows administrators have worked with KMS systems. There is nothing fun about activating copies of Windows, Office or Windows Server via these KMS tools. The KMS server already requires that a certain number of clients must connect to the KMS system for it to activate Microsoft products.
In an effort to improve this process Microsoft now allows the Activation of some of their products via Active Directory this makes license activation management and deployment a lot easier than in previous versions. The good news you can still use KMS for your older licenses and products without issue.
Versions supported for “AD Activation (also known as VA Services)” are: Windows 8.1, Server 2102R2 and Office 2013.
However, in order to get Office 2013 to work you must install an update on your Server 2012R2 server which is running “VA Services” role.
- On a Windows Server 2012R2 machine install the “VA Services” role.
- Import your volume license key for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012R2 Licenses
- Download and Install Office 2013 Activation Pack for Volume Activation
- After install of the Activation Pack it will prompt you to input your Office 2013 volume license.
- After a few minutes any un-activated machines will activate immediately.