Game DVR is a new feature of the Xbox application on Windows 10 that enables you to record video games you play on the system.
The feature is enabled by default on all devices running Windows 10. While it does not record game footage in the background by default on Windows 10 PCs, it is a source of frustration for a number of reasons.
First, it is enabled by default, and the only option to disable it that is integrated in Windows 10 is to use the Xbox app. But, you can only open the Xbox app if you sign in with a Microsoft Account first.
Second, Game DVR may impact game performance, more precisely input lag. Some games even warn you when you start them and suggest that you turn off Game DVR before you start playing them.
Game DVR Config
Game DVR Config is a free program for Microsoft Windows 10 devices that enables you to configure the operating system's Game DVR feature directly.
This means, you can use it without having to sign in to the Xbox application or any of that nonsense.
To use it, download the program from the project website and run it afterwards. It does not need to be installed, but requires the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 (which is integrated in Windows 10).
Game DVR Config displays all available options on the first and only screen on launch. It enables you to made the following modifications to the recording feature:
- Enable or Disable Game DVR
- Enable or disable audio and microphone capture.
- Set a custom audio and video encoding bitrate.
- Resize the video resolution of the recording.
- Force software MFT.
- Disable cursor blending.
- Enable or disable background recording.
- Set the background recording interval in seconds.
- Record while on battery.
- Record while using wireless display.
The program serves two main purposes. It gives Windows 10 users who don't use the Game DVR feature with options to turn it off directly without having to use the Xbox app and sign in to a Microsoft account.
For users who make use of Game DVR, it offers direct access to recording parameters.
Game DVR Config is a handy program for Windows to configure Windows 10's game recording feature directly and easily. It is recommended to turn the feature off if you don't make use of it, especially so if you play games on the system regularly or occasionally.
Now You: What's the last game you played? How is it?
- Microsoft drops Messaging Everywhere feature in Windows 10
- [Tip] Disable or Remove “Mixed Reality Portal” App in Windows 10
- Microsoft reintroduces Power Throttling with Redstone 3 in Windows 10
- How To Update Windows Subsystem For Linux On Windows 10?
- Night Light: A New Feature Added To the Creators Update for Windows 10
- How to Enable or Disable Focused Inbox in Mail App in Windows 10?
- New features in Cortana on Windows 10 v1703
- How To Block Shut Down And Restart On Windows 10
- Windows 10 Creators Update: block Win32 program installation
- Choose Where Apps Can Be Installed From In Windows 10