Microsoft’s new operating system Windows 10 comes with integration of OneDrive (previously known as SkyDrive), the official online cloud storage and file hosting service of Microsoft. Windows 10 allows you to save your documents and files directly on your OneDrive account right from the Windows Explorer or other software programs. Because of the seamless integration with OneDrive, you don’t need to download or install any OneDrive app. Just use OneDrive storage similar to local hard disk drives in your Windows 10 computer.
But many Windows users might not want to use OneDrive cloud storage service and they just want to disable OneDrive functionality in Windows 10 to save system resources.
Today in this tutorial, we’ll tell you various ways to disable OneDrive feature in Windows 10. So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
METHOD 1: Disable OneDrive from System Startup in Windows 10
When you start your Windows 10 computer, OneDrive app automatically starts and sits in Taskbar notification area (or system tray). You can disable OneDrive from startup and it’ll no longer start with Windows 10:
1. Right-click on OneDrive icon in Taskbar notification area and select Settings option.
2. It’ll open OneDrive Settings window. Now go to “Settings” tab and uncheck “Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows” option.
3. Click on OK button and restart your computer.
Now OneDrive will never automatically start in your Windows 10 computer.
METHOD 2: Disable OneDrive from Startup Using Task Manager
If you face any problem while following above mentioned method. You can take help of Task Manager program to disable OneDrive from system startup:
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together to open Task Manager. You can also open it by right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager option.
2. Now go to “Startup” tab in Task Manager, select “Microsoft OneDrive” item given in the list and click on “Disable” button.
3. That’s it. Restart your computer and OneDrive will no longer start with Windows.
METHOD 3: Remove OneDrive Icon from Navigation Pane in This PC
Once you disable OneDrive from startup in Windows 10, you’ll still see its icon in Navigation Pane in This PC (File Explorer or Windows Explorer).
You can remove OneDrive icon from Navigation Pane using following exclusive tutorial:
Now you’ll not see OneDrive icon in Windows Explorer and browse dialog box in programs.
METHOD 4: Completely Disable OneDrive in Windows 10 Using Group Policy Editor
If you want to completely get rid of OneDrive in Windows 10, you can disable whole OneDrive functionality using Group Policy Editor:
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type gpedit.msc in RUN and press Enter. It’ll open Group Policy Editor.
2. Now go to:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> OneDrive
3. In right-side pane, double-click on “Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage” option and set it to Enabled.
That’s it. Apply changes and it’ll completely disable OneDrive functionality in Windows 10.
PS: If you decide to re-enable OneDrive functionality in future, double-click on “Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage” option and set it to Not Configured.
METHOD 5: Completely Disable OneDrive in Windows 10 Using Registry Editor
Windows 10 Home edition doesn’t contain Group Policy Editor. If you are using Home edition of Windows 10 or if you can’t use or don’t want to use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type regedit in RUN and press Enter. It’ll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as OneDrive
4. Now in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableFileSyncNGSC and set its value to 1
That’s it. Close Registry Editor and restart your computer to take effect. After reboot, OneDrive functionality will be disabled in Windows 10.
PS: To re-enable OneDrive functionality in future, delete the DWORD DisableFileSyncNGSC created in step 4.
NOTE: If you are not familiar with Registry editing tasks, we are also providing ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically. Download following ZIP file, extract it and run .REG file. It’ll ask for confirmation, accept it. Restart your computer and OneDrive will be disabled in Windows 10: