How To Install VLC Media Player 2.2.4 On Ubuntu 16.04
VLC Media Player 2.2.4 released for Linux Ubuntu Systems. How to install VLC 2.2.4 Media Player on Ubuntu 16.04. VLC 2.2.4 “Weatherwax” release brings auto-rotation of phone movies, to fight Vertical Video Syndrome. It can now resume playback where you left off and has full support for WebVTT, Ogg/VP8, Opus/MKV, CAF. Whereas the normal support for WMV, Ogg, MP4 and AVI has been rewritten for better multimedia experience.
- VLC 2.2.4 “Weatherwax” is the fourth update to VLC’s 2.2 release series.
- Fix crash in G.711 wav files
- Fix mp3 crash in libmad
- Fix out-of-bound write in adpcm QT IMA codec (VideoLAN-SA-1601, CVE-2016-5108)
- Fix overlay creation on Windows XP for DirectDraw video output
- Improve compilation support for GNU/HURD
- Minor UI improvements for the Qt interface on Windows, Linux, BSD, …
What’s new in VLC 2.2.X, codename WeatherWax?
- Fight the popular vertical video syndrome! VLC automatically detects rotated videos and rotates them using hardware acceleration (on compatible platforms)!
- This is supported for MP4/MOV, MKV and raw H264.
- Resume playback where you left off. Supported on all the mobile versions of VLC for quite some time, it is now available on the desktop.
- Vastly improved support for UltraHD video codecs like VP9 and H265, including encoding.
- New hardware acceleration mechanism, GPU 0-copy decoding, faster and implementations for Linux, Android, and Raspberry Pi. (Other OSes will have it in 3.0.0)
- Extensions: supported since a long time, we now feature an in-app downloader for the desktop, like Firefox
- Subtitles downloading extension
- Compatibility with a very large number of unusual codecs
- Vastly improved compatibility for problematic files in Ogg, MP4, and WMV.
- Support for Digital Cinema Package to play native movie theater formats.
- Experimental support of Interactive Menus of BluRays: BD-J
- On OS X, we’ve updated the interface for Yosemite compatibility.
- On Android, we rewrote most of the UI to match Google Material Design.
- This is the first public beta releases for Windows Phone, Windows RT and Android TV.
- It is also the first non-beta release on Android.
Install VLC 2.2.4 on Ubuntu
Run the following commands in Terminal to install VLC 2.2.4 Media Player on Ubuntu 16.04 and other Ubuntu Derivatives:
sudo apt-get build-dep vlc
wget -c download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.4/vlc-2.2.4.tar.xz
tar -xJvf vlc-2.2.4.tar.xz
sudo make install
Once installed, open VLC from Ubuntu Dash or Terminal.