Install PDF viewer on Ubuntu 16.04 System – MuPDF 1.9 Command-line PDF Viewer and XPS viewer for Ubuntu Systems. The renderer in MuPDF is tailored for high quality anti-aliased graphics. It renders text with metrics and spacing accurate to within fractions of a pixel for the highest fidelity in reproducing the look of a printed page on screen. MuPDF is also small, fast, and yet complete. It supports PDF 1.7 with transparency, encryption, hyperlinks, annotations, searching and more. It also reads XPS and OpenXPS documents. MuPDF is written modularly, so features can be added on by integrators if they so desire.
MuPDF 1.9 is the latest version available of the PDF Viewer application. MuPDF 1.9 has been released with the following changes:
- New command line tools: create and run.
- New low-level Java interface for desktop and android.
- Bidirectional layout for Arabic and Hebrew scripts.
- Shaping complex scripts for EPUB text layout.
- Noto fallback fonts for EPUB layout.
- Create new PDF files from scratch.
- Read an annotated content stream in a text file and write a PDF file, automatically embedding font and image resources.
- The interface is similar to the new Java interface.
- Optional multi-threaded operation (Windows and pthreads).
- Optional low memory mode (primarily for testing).
Install MuPDF On Ubuntu
MuPDF can be installed on Ubuntu Systems via Ubuntuhandbook PPA. run the following commands to install MuPDF on Ubuntu:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/apps
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install mupdf mupdf-tools
Once installed open MuPDF from Ubuntu Dash or Terminal.
If you aren’t happy with the MuPDF viewer, you can easily uninstal it by the following command:
$ sudo apt-get remove mupdf mupdf-tools