The Audacious audio player has reached the 3.8 stable release recently. Here’s how to install it in Ubuntu 16.04 via PPA.
The 3.8 release features the ability to run multiple instances of Audacious. Instances are numbered and can be started with audacious -2, audacious -3, and so on; once running, they can be controlled with audtool -2 , audtool -3 , and so on. Each instance remembers its own configuration.
Audacious 3.8 also brings new audtool commands, improvements for Windows support and Cuesheet support, features port to Qt interface, and various bug fixes.
- support adding remote folders (ftp, mtp, etc.)
- drag & drop from search tool into playlists.
- Option to display MMM:SS instead of H:MM:SS
- Audio effects and equalization can optionally be applied to a stream recording
- Album artist support for FLAC and Vorbis files (read-write)
- Support for the freedesktop.org startup notification protocol
Audacious 3.8 multiple instances
Install Audacious 3.8 in Ubuntu:
The webupd8team has been maintaining the Audacious packages via PPA for very long time. I’d recommend you to use this PPA though the 3.8 release is not available at the moment, check out the PPA page.
Once it’s available, run the below to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
Then upgrade Audacious via Software Updater.
While Audacious 3.8 is not available in any PPA at the moment, I’ve uploaded my personal build into PPA, available for Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint:
1. To add the PPA, open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/apps
Type in your password (no visual feedback) when it asks and hit Enter.
2. Then launch Software Updater, and do “partial upgrade” since the 3.8 release uses the new library versions.
Or just run command to install or upgrade Audacious player:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install audacious
3. (Optional) Uninstall Audacious 3.8 from the PPA and downgrade to the stock version in Ubuntu 16.04, run command:
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/apps
- Audacious 3.8 Relased – Install Audacious Audio Player on Ubuntu 16.04
- How to install FreeType 2.7 in Ubuntu 16.04 via PPA
- Install Sayonara Music Player 0.9.1 in Ubuntu 16.04
- Install Wireshark 2.2.0 via PPA in Ubuntu 16.04, 14.04
- Install Calibre 2.67 eBook Reader On Ubuntu 16.04
- How to Install OpenShot 2.1 Stable in Ubuntu 16.04, 14.04
- How to Install KDE Connect 1.0 in (K)Ubuntu 16.04
- Install The Latest Calibre E book Reader On Ubuntu 16.04/16.10
- How to Install the Latest VLC 2.2.4 in Ubuntu 16.04 via PPA
- How to Remote Access to Ubuntu 16.04 from Windows