How to Hide User Account from Welcome Screen in Windows 8
When you add an account for certain users on Windows 8, the user names will appear on the Welcome Screen. If you created an account for running services, you do not want other users of your computer to have the option to log on to that account, because you designated it to be used only by applications running as a service.
With the help of a simple registry, it is possible to hide any account on the lock screen so no one will know it exists. Let’s see how I can hide user account from Welcome Screen in Windows 8.
1. Open the Start screen, type regedit in the Search box, and then press Enter.
Press Windows + R key combination to open window, type regedit and press Enter.
2. Registry Editor loads press Yes to continue.
3. In the Register Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, Windows NT, CurrentVersion, and Winlogon.
4. Right click the Winlogon folder, select New, and then select Key.
5. Name this new key SpecialAccounts.
6. Right click the new SpecialAccounts key, select New, and then select Key.Call this new key UserList.
7. Right click on any blank space, and create New DWORD (32-bit) Value.
8. Enter the name of the user’s account as the name of the DWORD.
9. Double click on DWORD registry value, and set the value data to 0 in order to hide the account from Welcome Screen.
10. If you want to display the user account on Welcome Screen again, delete the registry entry, or set the value data to 1.
11. After you have done this, you can close the Registry Editor and restart the computer to make the changes effective.