1. Go to Control PanelSystem and SecurityWindows Firewall and click the Advanced Settings.
2. In Windows 8 firewall with advanced security option includes three panes of information and controls. The right pane link relates to advanced firewall policies that includes import and export firewall policies or reset the firewall to its default state. In the left pane of the Windows Firewall With Advanced Security management console, you can manage inbound and outbound rules.In the center pane is status information about the firewall.
Click the Windows Firewall Properties link to configure the firewall profiles.
3. Three different location profiles enable you to customize your firewall rules.
Domain Profile: when your computer is connected to a domain
Private Profile: Applies to computers within a local, private network
Public Profile: Protects your computer from the public Internet
Inbound and Outbound Rules
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security management console, you can manage inbound and outbound rules. Inbound rules represent remote computer, try to access your computer to exchange data from your network or from the Internet. Outbound rules affect Windows software and your installed applications that might want to communicate with your network, the Internet, or other devices.
Example Rule: Blocking a Port
Create a New Inbound Rule
1. Windows Firewall With Advanced Security management console, click on new rule to create a new custom rule.
2. Select port and then click Next.
3. Type the port number you want to block.
4. Select Block the connection option and then click Next.
5. Select the tab for the profile on which you would like to enable Inbound filtering and then Click Next.
6. Name Inbound Rule and Click finish.
Example Rule: Blocking a Program
Create a New Outbound Rule
1. Select Outbound Rules in the Actions pane then click New Rule to create a new custom rule.
2. Select this Program path option and then use the Browse button to select the program’s .exe file.
3. Select Block the connection option and then Click Next.
4. Select the tab for the profile on which you would like to enable Outbound filtering and then Click Next.
5. Name Outbound Rule and Click finish.