How to build your own price comparison API in 30 minutes with no code
Lately I’ve been experimenting with kimono which guarantees to flip web sites into structured APIs from your browser in seconds.
It goals to removes the intimidating technical boundaries beforehand wanted to develop your own API.
Sound fascinating? I definitely assume so!
If you’re new to the idea of APIs then I’d advocate studying this information from Zapier.
Using kimono I’m going to take you thru creating your own API which can collect the price of a PlayStation A from the next retailers:
Once developed you can use this API to:
- Add your own competitor price comparison widget to particular person product pages if price is your robust level (enterprise).
- Get product price e mail alerts (shopper or enterprise).
The excellent news is that kimono already has fairly a number of of those instruments constructed in so that you’ll have the ability to do one thing helpful with the info fairly shortly.
Creating the feed (step-by-step information)
- Create a free kimono account (it’s at present in beta so will stay free in the intervening time). Drag the ‘kimonify’ icon to your browser bookmarks bar. The web page additionally accommodates an interactive tutorial for those who’d like extra info.
- We’ll now want to go to the person product pages of the retailers talked about earlier to seize the info to be captured by the API. Let’s begin with Argos. While you’re on this web page click on the newly created ‘kimonify’ bookmark. This will open the kimono bar on the prime of the online web page.
- Hover over parts of the product web page they usually’ll be surrounded by a yellow field. Select the price textual content. The yellow field will stay static round this aspect and signifies what knowledge shall be extracted from the web page.
- Review the web page and click on on the small cross of any undesirable yellow bins. We solely need the product price for this instance.
- Click on the ‘Data Model View’ on the correct hand aspect of the kimono bar.
- Rename the chosen ‘collection1’ to ‘price’. Please make sure the ‘price’ identify is stored the identical when repeating the method for different retailers. Rename ‘property1’ to the identify of the retailer (Argos in this case).
- Click ‘Done’ on the appropriate hand aspect of the kimono bar. Give your API a reputation and set the crawl price (the frequency at which the API will seize the info from the web page). This ranges from actual time to month-to-month. Keep the speed constant throughout all of the APIs for this job.
- Click ‘Create API’ to end. Repeat the method for the remaining retailers.
We’ve now obtained the product price assortment APIs in place for every of the retailers. Using a brand new function of kimono we’re going to mix these into one tremendous, all ruling API.
- Within your kimono account click on on ‘Combine APIs’ hyperlink in sub navigation beneath your identify.
- Give this new API a reputation. I’ve referred to as it ‘Playstation A Price Comparison’.
- Tick the three APIs that you’ve lately created and click on ‘Next’
The API has now been created. You can now develop one thing utilizing the endpoint immediately. The screenshot under is an instance of the JSON feed:
For non-builders you might additionally create content material utilizing the newly created API with one among their in-constructed options. We’ll undergo these under.
- Email alerts could be arrange to ship you an alert every time the info in your API updates (depending on your entered update frequency).
- Creating a KimonoApp permits you to show your knowledge in a primary app for your telephone.
- A KimonoBlock is a customisable knowledge widget which may be embedded on an internet web page. This choice is right as a fast price comparison widget for product pages.
- Creating a Webhook is barely extra superior. Once the info in your API modifications you possibly can select to publish it to a customized file on your server from which you may reserve it to a database for instance.
There are definitely different comparable instruments that are value a glance. Import.io is one such instance (but to attempt personally).
There’s vital potential in APIs for analysis, content material improvement and enhancing consumer experiences. Tools resembling those talked about are opening this up to a wider viewers. Use this new discovered energy correctly!