Brief: This quick tip shows you how to fix the problem of no sound in LibreOffice Impress presentation slides.
Problem: No sound in LibreOffice Impress
A couple of weeks back, one of the It’s FOSS reader, Gilbert, approached me with an issue with LibreOffice. Gilbert has created some presentation in LibreOffice and unlike the regular presentations, he has amped it up with audio and video files.
The issue was that the slides couldn’t play any audio in LibreOffice. Gilbert tried using a number of audio formats like WAV, MP3 and OGG but the matter remained the same: no sound in LibreOffice presentation slides.
In this quick tip article, we’ll see how Gilbert’s problem was fixed.
Reason behind audio problem in LibreOffice Impress
I can guess a number of reasons why there is no sound in LibreOffice Impress:
- If the original file is in .pptx and you try to use it in LibreOffice, there could be compatibility issues at time (not necessarily)
- The audio file is not found at all
- Your system is missing the codecs for LibreOffice
- Slide-show has incorrect audio settings
Solution to ‘no sound in LibreOffice Impress’
In Gilbert’s case, it was the missing codecs for LibreOffice that caused the issue. If you are facing a similar issue, you can also try installing the correct codecs for LibreOffice.
In Ubuntu and other Ubuntu based Linux distributions such as Linux Mint, Linux Lite, elementary OS etc, open a terminal and use the command below:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer
If it doesn’t fix your problem, maybe you can try checking the other reasons I mentioned above.
Did it fix for you?
LibreOffice is a very good alternative to Microsoft Office. But if you are not satisfied with it, perhaps you can try OnlyOffice for Linux. It’s a relatively new productivity suite that provides open source desktop application of its productivity suite.
Did this quick tip help you to fix the no sound problem in LibreOffice Impress? Do share your experience in the comment section below.
- Fix vnStat Not Automatically Updating
- [Fix] “Local Area Connection, Ethernet or Wi-Fi doesn’t have a Valid IP Configuration” Error Message in Windows
- Fix Missing Synaptic Search Bar
- 'Hearthstone' Samsung Galaxy Card Back Bug: It's Not Just You
- Semi-Critical Intel Atom C2000 SoC Flaw Discovered, Hardware Fix Required
- Troubleshoot Windows Defender Update Issues in Windows 10
- Microsoft Addresses Surface Pro 3 Battery Issue Yet Again; Releases New Update With ‘Fuel Gauge’ Fix
- Fix E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock – Unable to lock the directory
- Troubleshoot Windows 10 Freezing or Locking Up Randomly
- OpenSSL fixed a critical flaw introduced on 22nd September patch