Audacious 3.9 Released! How to Install it in Ubuntu
Audacious audio player reached 3.9 release a few days ago with many new features, Qt UI enhancements, usability improvements, and various bug-fixes.
Audacious 3.9 release highlights:
- New ‘View’ menu and additional options in Settings.
- Full drag-and-drop capability for playlist entries
- Configurable playlist columns (add, remove, resize, and rearrange)
- New controls for stream recording
- Improved playlist search bar, which hides until Control+F is pressed.
- Integrated menu items and keyboard shortcuts for the Playlist Manager and Search Tool
- Better high-DPI support and many other cosmetic fixes
- audtool gains better support for multiple playlists with the
- Recursive adding of folders specified in M3U playlists
- See the release note for details.
Audacious GTK and Winamp like interface
How to Install Audacious 3.9 in Ubuntu:
The Webupd8Team PPA has made the packages for Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 17.10, Linux Mint 18.x, and derivatives.
1. Open terminal via Ctrl+Alt+T or by searching it from app launcher. When it opens, run command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
Type in your password (no visual feedback while typing due to security reason) when it asks and hit Enter.
2. Upgrade Audacious via Software Updater (Update Manager) if you have a previous release installed:
Or run following commands one by one to check updates and install the audio player:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install audacious audacious-plugins
You can restore the Audacious music player to its stock version in your Ubuntu by puring the PPA via command:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
You can then remove the audio player as you want via Ubuntu Software utility.